Monday, June 19, 2006

Future Trust

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God." These words, which I believe are from Corrie Ten Boom, are true. So much time is wasted trying make our future safe and secure -- OK, I want to make my future a bit more risk-free -- but I've run into a bunch of others that have the same issues. God rarely shows us what our future life and ministry might contain. I am encouraged by the attitude of my wife and many of the hurting women she works with. They have adopted the principle behind God's promise to Israel in Jeremiah 29:11: "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope" (ESV). God re-affirms to His people that despite the terrible situation in which they find themselves - even if due to their failure - He has plans for them that are not evil. A promise that can only be believed if we believe in the goodness and faithfulness of God. There are days when the future looks unclear, and all the choices seem to be poor. There are times that others choices seem to destroy and disrupt our lives. There are days that seem to be "foggy" rather than clear and the destination is unclear. But if we know our God we can boldly walk into the unknown despite the risk.

No comments: