Monday, May 01, 2006

So what do you do ...

… when things leak out of your brain? It seems like I have very little bandwidth left in my mind. It’s one of those weeks when I have just too many high priority tasks that all seem to take brain cells to accomplish and I am usually running out of them. I am trying to remember some key truths about busy times:
  • It really is God who does His work. All I can do is pursue faithfulness with the time I have. Of course, it has to be God’s work. And the assumption is that I work hard, I labor, when it is time to work.
"Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain." (Psalm 127:1, ESV)
  • God gives to his own even in their sleep. I tend to want to stay up late and get more work done. Sleep is usually a better choice.
"It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep." (Psalm 127:2, ESV)
  • Watch the anxiety. Unfortunately I tend to be slower than I would wish in following the divine prescription.
"do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." (Philippians 4:6, ESV)
  • The priority of my life must not waver from the fundamental mission given by our Chief Shepherd. It is His kingdom that matters, not mine. I think it safe to say that the principle given by Jesus applies here. I seek his kingdom first, and he will take care of the things that seem to be undone.
"But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." (Matthew 6:33-34, ESV) I feel better now. Thanks.

1 comment:

Jenny Jack said...

Hey dad...it looks like we're on a similar wavelength...check out what I just wrote in mine!